The Kubiak Research Group
The Kubiak Research Group is located at the University of California, San Diego in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The Kubiak Group is composed of graduate, undergraduate, and postdoctoral researchers performing a variety of investigative studies in inorganic, materials, and physical chemistry.
Recent Events and Publications
- Mark defends his thesis entitled "Electrochemical Methods Towards Sustainable Chemistry" Congratulations to Mark Llorente, PhD!
- Short-range catalyst-surface interactions revealed by heterodyne two-dimensional sum frequency generation. Wang, J.; Clark, M.L.; Li, Y.; Kaslan, C.L.; Kubiak, C.P.; Xiong, W. J. Phys. Chem. Lett.
- Fe-Porphyrin Based MOF Films as High-Surface-Concentration, Heterogeneous Catalysts for Electrochemical Reduction of CO2
. Hod, I.; Sampson, M.D.; Deria, P.; Kubiak, C.P.; Farha, O.K.; Hupp, J.T. ACS Catal.
- A porous proton-relaying metal-organic framework material that accelerates electrochemical hydrogen evolution. Hod, I.; Deria, P.; Bury, W.; Mondloch, J.E.; Kung, C-W.; So, M.; Sampson, M.D.; Peters, A.W.; Kubiak, C.P.; Farha, O.K.; Hupp, J.T. Nature Commun.
- Kubiak Group attends the Southern California Inorganic Photophysics (SCIP) Conference on Catalina Island. Ten group members gave talks.
- Jesse defends his thesis entitled "The Homogeneous Electrocatalytic Reduction of Carbon Dioxide to Carbon Monoxide by Ni(cyclam)" Congratulations to Jesse Froehlich, PhD!
- Alyssia defends her thesis entitled "Studies of Carbon Dioxide Reduction by Metal P2
Complexes." Congratulations to Alyssia Lilio, PhD!
- Cliff, Melissa, and Charlie participate in the 250th ACS National Meeting in Boston, MA.
- Electrocatalytic Reduction of Carbon Dioxide by Mn(CN)(2,2′-bipyridine)(CO)3
: CN Coordination Alters Mechanism. Machan, C.H.; Stanton III, C.J.; Vandazande, J.E.; Majetich, G.F.; Schaefer, H.F.; Kubiak, C.P.; Agarwal, J. Inorg. Chem.
- Cliff, Matt, Mark R. and Charlie participate the Organometallic Chemistry Gordon Research Conference in Newport, RI.
- Reductive Disproportionation of Carbon Dioxide by an Alkyl-Functionalized Pyridine Monoimine Re(I) fac
-Tricarbonyl Electrocatalyst. Machan, C.H.; Chabolla, S.A.; Kubiak, C.P. Organometallics
, Article ASAP
- Photocatalytic CO2
Reduction to Formate Using a Mn(I) Molecular Catalyst in a Robust Metal–Organic Framework. Fei, H.; Sampson, M.D.; Lee, Y.; Kubiak, C.P.; Cohen, S.M. Inorg Chem.
, 54 (14)
- Electrocatalytic Dihydrogen Production by an Earth-Abundant Manganese Bipyridine Catalyst. Sampson, M.D.; Kubiak, C.P. Inorg Chem.
, 54 (14)
- A Molecular Ruthenium Electrocatalyst for the Reduction of Carbon Dioxide to CO and Formate. Machan, C.W.; Sampson, M.D.; Kubiak, C.P. J. Am. Chem. Soc.
, 137 (26)
- Incorporation of Pendant Bases into Rh(diphosphine)2
Complexes: Synthesis, Thermodynamic Studies, And Catalytic CO2
Hydrogenation Activity of [Rh(P2
Complexes. Lilio, A.M.; Reineke, M.H.; Moore, C.E.; Rheingold, A.L.; Takase, M.K.; Kubiak, C.P. J. Am. Chem. Soc.
, 137 (25)
- Melissa attends Cyclic Voltammetry International School (CVIS
) at University Paris Diderot, a five-day CV training course in Paris, France.
- Jane defends her thesis entitled "Photoinduced mixed-valency and delocalization dynamics in strongly coupled multinuclear ruthenium complexes." Congratulations to Jane Henderson, PhD!
- Reduction of CO2
by Pyridine Monoimine Molybdenum Carbonyl Complexes: Cooperative Metal–Ligand Binding of CO2
. Sieh, D.; Lacy, D.C.; Peters, J.C.; Kubiak, C.P.; Chem. Eur. J.
, 21 (23)
- Melissa receives the inaugural 'Area Safety Coordinator-Excellence in Safety Award', a jointly sponsored award by campus Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) and the Department
of Chemistry & Biochemistry. The award is in recognition of Melissa’s outstanding contributions towards improving the culture of laboratory safety within the Kubiak Group and on a
broader scale throughout the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry.
- Synthesis and Structural Studies of Nickel(0) Tetracarbene Complexes with the Introduction of a New Four-Coordinate Geometric Index, τδ. Reineke, M.H.; Sampson, M.D.; Rheingold, A.L.; Kubiak, C.P.; Inorg. Chem.
, 54 (7)
- The Homogeneous Reduction of CO2
: Increased Catalytic Rates with the Addition of a CO Scavenger. Froehlich, J.D.; Kubiak, C.P.; J. Am. Chem. Soc.
, 137 (10)
- Cliff is named the recipient of the 2015 Basolo Medal
for Outstanding Research in Inorganic Chemistry. The medal will be presented on October 30th at Northwestern University.
- Improved PeT Molecules for Optically Sensing Voltage in Neurons. Woodford C.R., Frady, P.E., Smith R.S., Morey B., Canzi G., Palida S.F., Araneda R.C., Kristan, W.B., Jr., Kubiak C.P., Miller E.W., and Tsien, R.Y. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015
, 137 (5)
January 20th, 2015
- Kubiak Group hosts the 2014 AFOSR MURI Annual Review. See the Meeting Agenda
and Poster Session Program
- Matt receives the Teddy Traylor Award from the Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, a merit-based award recognizing past work and facilitating future work at the time when graduate students are immersed in research for their dissertation. Congratulations Matt!
Past Events and Publications